Archive for the ‘BlogHelp’ Category

Week 8- oh my god, space. allie gates!

Sunday, March 1st, 2009

Space is the basis for relativity.

As we navigate our middle sized existence, space seems easy to grasp.

there is up

and down

and left and right

and forward and

drawkcab

and d

i

a

g

o

n

i

a

l.

and everything we touch and experience is some linear, 3rd dimensional recapitulation of these different ways we define space relative to ourselves.  Our fourth dimensional line–life–starting at birth and pixellating into nothingness at death is just the sum total of all of our vectors into space. Direction and magnitude.

But when we open up our heads and plunge our arms into them, elbow deep, and really, really reach our thoughts into the farthest recesses of human cognition, we can catch little glimpses of the vastness of the universe. We can pull ourselves outward, in concentric circles of multiplying space, into wider and taller and farther orders of magnitude. Ideas of space that are far larger than anything we can realistically interact with, yet we can imagine that infinitely larger perspective on space.  And then, we put our perception of possible vastness into high gear, and propel ourselves into farther and farther ideas of space, and if we listen to Einstein, we end up exactly where we started.  Now, this defies our middle sized perceptions of space. If I think I am going perfectly straight–according to my 3 dimensional perception of my movement–but I end up where I started, somewhere along the way, I curved in a way that is not detectable by me, or rather, is not ever able to be detected by a third and fourth dimensional being. As a third dimensional being, it would seem as though we had just traveled in a circle, tracing the edge of the universe we can reach. Depending on where on earth you started and which direction you travel in, there are infinite numbers of universe-wide potential circles that could be made, together outlining the limits of our space into one spherical universe. But then, if that were so, a third dimensional mind could imagine two universes right next to each other but not overlapping, who’s outer edges were a hair apart from each other, who’s inhabitants would never be able to communicate with each other because they lived in two different universes. And then dozens, hundreds, and thousands, infinite numbers of universes piling up right next to each other like playpen balls, separated by tiny slices of nothing space.  But how far would that universe of universes extend? If you traveled in a straight line in the space of the infinite, next door neighbor universes, would you end up where you started? And could that universe of universes be reduced into a ball, right next door to other universes of universes? And how far can you keep applying the idea of universes of universes of universes of universes?

Where are we?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Final Proposal:

Brainwave Monitors: Not Just For The Symphony Anymore!!

My final will build upon ideas and concepts outlined in my midterm, !Synchrosymphony. I want to continue to explore interpersonal experience and synchronization through constructive interference between brainwaves and thought visualizers on walls.  However, I want to approach this project with one of the goals completely inverted: rather than synchronizing huge, faceless masses of people, I want to explore a more intimate synchronization of small groups of people in their homes, places of worship, and creative spaces. I propose portable wireless brain monitoring halos that are used in very particular instances to enhance interpersonal experiences.  For this project, I will look into visual stimulus as a subconscious tool to enhancing intense experiences such as sex, artistic creation, music production, team painting, worship, in order to reiterate and intensify moments of “flow.”

______________

allie gates

Week 8_Feb. 24th, 2009 Jim Hutchison’s lecture

Thursday, February 26th, 2009

20090224-Prof. Jim Hutchison on Greener Products via Nanoscience By the time I hurried to the auditorium at CNSI, the lecture Greener Nanoscience: Designing Safer Products and Cleaner Processes had already begun for 10 minutes. Prof. Jim Hutchison was presenting the Target structure of nano materials: 2 nm islands with 2 nm separation.In the nearly one-hour lecture, Prof. Hutchison talked on the growing concern about the potential health and environmental impacts of production and use of nanoscale products. He also introduced “Risk=f(Hazard, Exposure)” to illustrate the necessisity of designing effective and safe nano products with desired physical characteristics. The core of his lecture is how to apply Green Chemistry priciples, like avoiding incorporation of toxic elements; employing dimensional bracketing to guide initial material selecting, and so forth, on “tuning the properties of nanoparticles and develop more efficient, greener approaches to nanoparticle synthesis/manufacture”. During the lecture Prof. Hutchison also introduced a couple of institutes and projects that are focusing on the same issue, such as the Oregon Nanoscience and Microtechnologies Institute [ONAMI], Safer Nanomaterials and Nanomanufacturing Initiative [SNNI ], and the comprehensive materials characterization center at the University of Oregon[CAMCOR]. By the way, the CAMCOR is offering excellent opportunity for internships, too.

There were two things very impressive I found in Prof. Hutchison’s lecture. One of them is the application of nanoscience on creating the antibiotic fabric. According to Prof. Hutchison, they are trying to synthesis silver nanoparticles and to combine this technology with clothing. I guess we don’t have to spend that much on laudry by the time this kind of clothes can be manufactured through green and economic process. Exciting, isn’t it? Another point Prof. Hutchison mentioned was that an undergraduate student, Scott Sweeney, helped the lab by discovering a rapid method in purifying and size separating of gold nanoparticles via diafiltration. Using the new method, less time-consuming and cheaper manufacture of nano products can be expected in a short future. In a word, Prof. Hutchison’s lecture was very inspiring and for artists and product designers this could be a brand new stage.20090224-e58c96e5ada6e7bab3e7b1b3e4baa7e59381e8aeb2e5baa7-003

Week 7: Conciousness //matt robertson

Monday, February 23rd, 2009
    When I was 17, while in the hospital, my heart stopped for about 21 seconds. I remember everything fading to nothing and then waking up very suddenly (my heart had been chemically started with epinephrine). I had no conception of time between when I went out and when I woke up; a seemingly infinite amount of time had passed between before and after. I felt as if I hadn’t existed and was recreated after the event. This has led me to believe that my sentience merely appears to exist to justify my actions and explain complicated behavior.

There is evidence of animals being aware of themselves. This evidence largely hangs upon the observed behaviors of elephants and octopodes. The problem with trying to prove self awareness is that we can only observe behaviors which seem like sentience. While it is true that animals appear be aware of themselves to some extent, I do not believe that the qualia of being an elephant or an octopus compares in anyway to that of being a human. 

In a course I took on psycho-biology, we studied how evolution can create organisms that appear to be self-sacrificial. This relies on the fact that organisms that are self-sacrificial save the lives of other organisms that are self-sacrificial (which share their genes), resulting in an increase of the genetic factors that bring about that kind of behavior. Along the same lines, appearing to be self aware can have many benefits. Furthermore, monogamous relationships between animals can be beneficial for their survival and (more importantly) the survival of their genes. This does not mean that there is a mythical force causing animals to fall in love with one another. Many insects and arachnids eat their partner after mating. While evolution is a well known concept in the field of biology, it does not seem to be applied to collectives as often as it is to organisms.

week 7- the universe

Monday, February 23rd, 2009

The topic of animal consciousness is one that is hard to approach without hypocrisy, which makes it all the more multifacted and interesting.

The hypocrisy becomes clear when we examine the discussion of animals as sentient, thinking beings on a cohesive level. The speaker last week spoke at length about the different ways in which animals perceive the world based on their evolutionary adaptations to focus on different aspects of their environments immediate ecology.  The bees see ultravioltet, because to them ultraviolet is ultrayummy. Astrophysicist Richard Dawkins limns this point in his stunning TEDtalk entitled, “Queerer than We Can Suppose: The Strangeness of Science.”

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/richard_dawkins_on_our_queer_universe.html

He discusses the farthest reach of the universe, from the unfathomably large (like measuring the vastness of the universe) to the very, very small (like understanding the nature of quantum mechanics).  He poses the question: is the universe queerer than we can suppose?  Are there aspects of the universe that operate on levels which we cannot humanly fathom? In elucidating the current ideas of how large the universe may be, he points out the outrageously small amount of matter that exists.  Compared to the amount of space in the universe, there is an almost neglibile number of atoms.  The fact that those atoms can together in such a way that they interplay in a self-sustaining chemical reaction called Life, and that one form of life can reflect on it’s own being, is truly astounding.  The fact that we are here is absolutely dumbfounding.  And then he draws our attention inward, to examine the amount of space that exists even in things that are solid.  If we could see an atom, the nucleus would be the size of a baseball, and an electron would proportionally be the size and distance as a fly on the outer rim of the stadium.  So there is not only a ridiculous of space between clumps of atoms called plantets, but there is very little of anything in atoms themselves. They are mostly empty.  However, he sheds light on this fact in his explanation of what he calls: The Middle World.  We have evolved to operate on the Middle Level of perception, rather than the quantum or jumbo, because these interactions are what we need to know to function.  In this way, we have evolved to develop sensory organs that pick up on relevant information, such as wavelengths of reflected light rays (color) or vibrations of moving objects (sound) or subliming matter (smell), just as bats have evolved to detect color with their ears, dolphins have developed the ability to understand the relations of sound, echo, and distance for travel, and bees have that ability to detect ultraviolet light. We have these sense because those are the things that are most relevent to successfully surviving in our reality given our physical needs.  However, Dawkins also points to the idea that our very ability to comprehend our senses and our place in the swirling infinite is limited as we have only the brain capacity to understand that which is vital for us: a Middle World perspective.    It seems oddly unsettling and beautiful that while we are in control of our thoughts, those thoughts are in the bathwater of a limited capacity for perception.

You think you may be in charge, but that only goes so far.

Given all of this, we can turn our attention to the idea of animal rights, which seems to be the practical application of understanding animal consciousness.  We can group the entire universe into two categories: living things, and non-living.  Mutually exclusive.  And there is such an outrageously small amount of matter, and such a small percentage of that is living, that it seems like appreciation and awe is to be assigned to all life.  Of it it isn’t, then regard should not be shown to any living thing.  Because it doesn’t seem like the number of brain connections or the beauty or the friendliness or the complexity of a living thing should be the core criterion of ellicting respect; rather, it seems that any life at all should be treated equally, because the very fact that it is living is an outrageous miracle.  In the way that Kant describes how morality, if it is to be had, should be accessible and right and unwavering in all situations: if something is right, then it is always the right thing to do.  In the same way, if we are to come to a conclusion about the way that animals should be treated based on the fact that they too are conscious, it should seem that all animals have the same shot at love or mistreatment and damnation.

However, this idea is rarely applied in everyday life, even when talking about this topic directly. Many people will spout off about the ethical treatment of animals in movies or science or research, belaying the masses to appreciate life, and to save those poor cute animals.  Those intelligent, strangely human orangutans with dinner plate eyes and said gramma faces.  Those adorable flourescent bunnies or undifferentiated stem cells.  Its life, man.

But few stop to look beyond the sensationalized PITA compaigns and look at their own actions.  They march in the anti-animal cruelty parades in their leather shoes and celebrate a good days work with a hamburger, entirely ignoring the glittering fact that their consumer choices support the systemic massacre of animals every day.  Because, well, its life man. And that life, to me, seems like the miracle worth preserving, rather than just the life we deem to be somehow more miraculous than the simpler forms.  Given the vastness of the unvierse, it only seems fair.  Given the vastness of the ignorant empty abyss hiding in their heads, I doubt the hypocrisy will diminish anytime soon.

allie gates.

wk7—-animal has consciousness— shiyang zheng

Sunday, February 22nd, 2009

Cogito, ergo sum” (English: “I think, therefore I am”) is a philosophical statement in Latin used by René Descartes, which became a foundational element of Western philosophy. Descartes examines his beliefs to see if any have survived the doubt. In his belief in his own existence he finds it is impossible to doubt that he exists. Even if there were a deceiving god (or an evil demon, the tool he uses to stop himself sliding back into ungrounded beliefs), his belief in his own existence would be secure, for how could he be deceived unless he existed in order to be deceived. Through his ability to think, Descartes realized his consciousness, and thus knew his own mental existence.

The consciousness we discussed in the class remains me of a topic I discussed in philosophy class in high school: whether the life is reality or the dream is reality? In the dream, we have feeling, sentiment, emotion, and more important we can think as well, like playing a drama in another world with all kinds of possibility. Except physical movement, there is no difference between dreaming and day-life. There is a movie called “Waking Life” directed by Richard Linklater and made in 2001.Waking Life is about a young man in a persistent lucid dream-like state. The film follows its protagonist as he initially observes and later participates in philosophical discussions that weave together issues like reality, free will, our relationships with others, and the meaning of life. Along the way the film touches on other topics including existentialism, situationist politics, posthumanity, the film theory of André Bazin, and on lucid dreaming itself. There is also a novel called Sophie’s World, a novel by Jostein Gaarder, published in 1991. In the novel, it also raises the question whether dream is reality or not? It’s true that we have consciousness in our daily life because we think; it’s also true we can feel our consciousness in the dream. We do not know which is the reality, but there is one thing we are sure: we are alive because we know we are.
Everyone knows his/her thinking, but not others. As we know, it’s impossible to fully understand and to know what is other thinking about. On the same deduction, it’s impossible for a human being to know the thinking of the animal. It’s even more challenging when we cannot speak animal language. So, does animal have consciousness? According to Descartes, if we can think and we are thinking, we have consciousness. So, can animal think? As an outside of animal community, we know little about their mental world.

There is another question: does other people and animal have consciouness? In linguistics, linguist believes the existence of A universal language that is to be spoken and understood by all or most of the world’s population; or, in some circles, is said to be understood by all living things, beings, and objects alike. This is hypothetic, however, I believe it as well. I remember when I traveled to Japan I had great experience with geisha though I don’t speak Japanese. We made gesture, funny sounds and facial expression. For my dogs at home, we train and give command by physical gestures and special sounds. So, I believe it possible to build new language with dogs. If dog can communicate and understand the sign we make as a certain command to do a certain movement, dog certainly has intelligence and ability to think, and thus draw the connection between the sign and requested movement. If dog has ability to think, according to consciousness definition, it means dog has consciousness.

Definiation of Consciousness: is a type of mental state, a way of perceiving, particularly the perception of a relationship between self and other.

Week 7-Consciousness by Justine Hicks

Sunday, February 22nd, 2009

I found Siddharth Ramakrishnan’s presentation on consciousness to be quite interesting. I wasn’t expecting him to discuss consciousness in octopi though; I thought it was going to be more human-centered. However, after discussing biotechnology in class last week, it seemed appropriate that he did talk about an animal’s consciousness. We all know that humans are conscious beings, but sometimes we forget that animals are too, which is why there is such an issue about the ethics of using animals in either art or science or any other way in which they can be exploited. Once it is realized that an animal can exhibit similar behavior to that of a human, it almost starts to become more humanlike, at least in that sense.

Ramakrishnan explained how an octopus camouflaging itself was an act of consciousness, not merely a reflex. Not only octopi have this ability, but also other animals, like chameleons and cuttlefish, are capable of being aware of their surroundings, so they can camouflage themselves if they need to. Consciousness isn’t just exhibited in this way though. Animals learn to live and survive in their surroundings, so they make conscious efforts to ensure their survival because they are aware of their surroundings, in turn, they are exhibiting consciousness.

However, there are many degrees of consciousness, which is why it is uncertain whether some animals do in fact display consciousness or not. According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, “An animal, person or other cognitive system may be regarded as conscious in a number of different senses.” One of those senses would be sentience, or the state of being able to perceive or feel things. Another aspect is wakefulness, so an organism can be viewed as being conscious just if it is awake. If this were the only way to define consciousness, then it would definitely be a lot easier, specifically to say whether an animal was conscious or not. Self-consciousness is another addition to the complexity of consciousness. In this sense, one is aware of his existence as a conscious being. Humans are known for being self-conscious beings, but it is hard to say if an animal is too. Were the octopi that Ramakrishnan talked about aware of the fact that they were consciously camouflaging themselves? Probably not, but they are still conscious organisms. Another way of defining consciousness could be by means of transitive consciousness, in which one is conscious of something, whether it be a physical object or a mental state. According to Thomas Nagel, consciousness upholds a belief of “What it is like.” In this sense, a being is conscious if “there is something that it is like” to be that life form. He uses bats as his example of this, because “there is something that it is like” for bats to live using echo-locator senses, even though humans are incapable of understanding that consciousness from the bat’s point of view.

While humans and animals alike exhibit consciousness, some animals may not realize it, but it’s still there, so the humans need to realize it, even though there are so many levels on which consciousness can be defined.

WK 6 BIOTECH, A SOLUTION TO UN-ETHICS —–Shiyang Zheng

Monday, February 16th, 2009

Ethics in the field of biotech is certainly the main topic this week. As biotech develops, our lives become more convenient and colorful. For example: The development of Genetic modified organisms (GMOs) offers the potential for increased agricultural productivity or improved nutritional value that can contribute directly to enhancing human health and development. From a health perspective, there may also be indirect benefits, such as reduced agricultural chemical usage and enhanced farm income, and improved crop sustainability and food security, particularly in developing countries. However, as biotech develops, our lives become more disastrous as well due to the inappropriate use of technology. For example: Gas Bomb. Gas was first used as a substitute for explosives in artillery shells in World War I: its first application in the field was by the Germans at Bolimov in February 1915. The attempt was unsuccessful. Chlorine released from storage cylinders to drift over enemy trenches was subsequently used with considerable success at Ypres, Belgium, in April 1915. As defensive measures such as gas masks evolved, so different agents were introduced to circumvent these defenses, and different methods of delivery developed. Over 3,000 chemical agents were investigated for possible use during the war but of these only about 30 were found suitable for actual use in the field. Despite its fearsome reputation, gas caused more injuries than deaths and was mainly effective in incapacitating rather than killing troops and in its psychological effect. The application of biotech thus become an ethical issue must discuss.

Scientists who conduct Biotech research for better human health and living standards might have never think of its disastrous application on warfare. The main responsibility of scientists is to develop and do research on new science. And, the responsibility of creating new technology based on the new science is not on scientists but on our human desire and the society. Doing research and experiment to discover the principle of nature is a pursuit of knowing, and has nothing to do with creativity, to create new technology and application. Thus, in my opinion, the risk and ethics assessment of new technology is the key to avoid unethical use of technology and immoral issues. In 1989 the 149-nation UN Conference on Disarmament unanimously voted to outlaw chemical weapons, and produced the Convention on Chemical Weapons (CCW) signed 1993. The treaty was unique in establishing verification procedures (to be administered by a new body, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, in The Hague, the Netherlands) and in allowing for sanctions against nations not party to the treaty. In November 1996 Hungary became the 65th country to ratify the UN agreement, which meant that after 28 years of negotiations, a sufficient number of countries had now ratified and the convention came into force on 28 April 1997. In November 1997 the Russian parliament ratified the convention; a 1998 budget of $100 million was proposed to cover destruction of existing weapons, approximately 20% of the estimated total cost. By 2000, 129 countries had ratified the convention. It’s possible to prevent unethical application with the effort of whole society.

The GM actually involves many unethical issues due to its potential negative effect to human health. However, it is not as controversial as use of gas bomb, because of its relatively more consistent market regulation and health quality assessment. To provide international consistency in the assessment of GM foods, principles developed by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (a joint programme of WHO and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; FAO) now cover food safety, while the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety covers environmental safety of GMOs. Many countries have established specific premarket regulatory systems in accordance with this international guidance that require a case-by-case risk assessment of each GM food. Risk assessment methodology undergoes continuous improvements, a fact that is recognized by the Codex principles, including the need for risk assessments to consider both the intended and unintended effects of such foods in the food supply. GM foods currently traded on the international market have passed risk assessments in several countries and are not likely, nor have been shown, to present risks for human health.

The technology updates in a rapid speed than we can image today. As a result, new types of applications and technologies are not usually subject to safety assessment before marketing. On the other hand, although risk-assessment systems have been in use for some time, the consumer has not always recognized these assessments such as GM food market. One explanation is that many national food- safety systems have had problems performing good risk communication in this area. In many countries, social and ethical considerations may cause also resistance to modifications, which interfere with genes. These conflicts often reflect deeper issues related to the interaction of human society with nature — issues that should be taken seriously in any communication effort.

midterm blog by joseph hernandez

Monday, February 9th, 2009

Part I:
Mathematics, robotics, the human body and the other topics that we have gone over since the beginning of the term all have something in common: they can come together make unconventional art in a time when people have polarized the two. Intellectuals have separated the two different studies, art and science, because they have taken such drastic journeys in academia. However, just because the two have gone down different paths, it does not mean that they do not have some overlapping ground. Only in the mindset of the stubborn are these two studies mutually exclusive. Actually, when science and art are integrated, it becomes the most interesting of the two. If you created something in the science world and integrated art into it, it would be much more noticeable than without the art portion. This is also true when art includes a part of science in it. It is a new, fresh outlook on it and catches the viewer’s eye. It does this creating a new type of beauty that not many people have experienced.
Part II:
My project, Revealing the Rainbow, has a lot to do with creating beauty and revealing the beauty within people. There is science with the lights and the usage of prisms to create rainbows. These lights are focused onto the dancers, which is a main part of the art portion. Even though the main part of my project was to focus on the injustice of Proposition 8, it also has a strong emphasis on how we don’t necessarily need to distinguish between science and art. There are portions that could be labeled “art” and others “science” but the vital part of the entire project is the end outcome, which is not just science or art, it’s both. If you keep trying to label a certain part of art or science, you are just ripping it to pieces and not being able to understand the entire thing as a whole.
300px-prismandlight1

If I dissected my project, the lights and prisms could be science while the children interactions with the dancers and the viewing room could all be labeled as art. However, I can’t appreciate what the true meaning of it is because I have been trying to label things the entire time. I have not given myself time to think about what the social implications of Prop 8 are because I have been thinking about which objects should labeled as science or art. This could happen in any part of your life where you start to micro-manage and you limit yourself from being able to see the big picture. To appreciate art and science, you have to appreciate things for what they stand for, not for each individual part of what they are comprised of.
lightecho-1
Like the picture of the nebulous object, if you focus on one specific part of it, you can’t appreciate the entire picture. You only focus on one star, instead of the entire universe.

shaun_bell_dc_c1

wk5— Midterm—SHIYANG ZHENG

Monday, February 9th, 2009

First week, we discussed art and science from the perspective of culture. We had a lot of brainstorms of the difference and similarity between two cultures. The difference such as the way of dressing, appearance, personality etc is easily defined by the common sense. However, there are many similarities I have never thought of. Inspired by the book “The Two Cultures” by Snow, I learned both cultures have strong sense and pursuit of creativity and intellectual curiosity. They are different only on the appearance, the format/way of presentation and expression. They are the same in nature. The old stereotype and lack of communication are two main barriers between two cultures. In “The Two Cultures”, Snow’s two cultures lifestyle proves that it’s possible to erase the boundary between two cultures. In the following weeks, I gradually learned and accepted the idea that there is no barrier between art and science. Starting from week 2, the scope of discussion became more specific and analytical. In the week 2, we discovered the co-relation between painting and mathematics. The discovery of golden ratio among some famous masterpiece suggests art and mathematics are related. Science is the study of the nature; Art is the study of the beauty of the nature, and the study of the way to express ideas and comment the element in the nature. Both science and art cannot escape the boundary of the nature. Therefore, it should not be surprising to find commons. After the discovery of 3Ds in mathematics, the artist Maurits Escher smartly utilized the discovery to create 3D paintings. The developments of mathematics lead artists into a new dimension world, and thus invented a new format of art. The co-relation of art and science is further developed after the industrial revolution, and became very obvious after introduction of video and Internet. The development of science leads to the invention of train, car, printing machine, video, photo, Internet etc, and eventually leads to a change of lifestyle and more frequent interaction and information exchange among people. All of these change the culture of society. The change was at its climax after invention of video and Internet. As culture and life-style changed, artists of course have to change their focus and notion, and correct their old stereotype in order to catch up the change of society and to satisfy new needs of new society. Beside the change of the art topic and focus, the art format would change as new technology get its popularity, such as video to filming, computer science to animation etc. Therefore, we could say, it is the science lead to the progress of the art. Science plays a crucial role in the development of art, both directly (in format) and indirectly (culturally). It seems it is the science is somewhat overpower than the art, however, after the forth week, I change my idea and start to believe that art and science are equally important and powerful to each other. In the 4th week, I was inspired by the “Oath of Hippocrates, and learned art from the perspective of morality and ethics. After three industrial revolutions, the technology has been developed and has great capability to change the nature and human body. The use of technology should be very careful due to its disastrous consequence such as A-bomb in Japan. The beauty of art is not just beauty of the nature, but also the beauty of human conduct and the behavior. While science is exploring the principle of the nature, art should take responsibility to supervise the appropriate use of new technology. What is art? Art the comment on the human condition. The use of new technology such as Internet is certainly in the category of human condition, and thus part of art. Therefore, the power of criticism should be utilized to avocation and practice of ethics and morality. In conclusion, I THINK art and science both deal with the nature world but play different roles. Since they both come from the nature, they are inseparable, and should cooperate together in order to achieve greater progress on human civilization.

Part 2:

“Online Professor” is the online operation system/software that has memory of all human civilization, and has capability to interpret human intelligence. Presentation about “Online Professor” is a perfect blend of science and art, working together in effort to solve the human resource in public education system, improving student’s study efficiency and performance, and fostering their intellectual curiosity. Intellectual curiosity is one of the most similarities shared by both artists and scientists. And today, many students have boarder interests, in both science and art, and desire to gain more knowledge. However, because of limited teaching resource and public funding to employ more professors, fund more activities, and student projects etc, it is challenging for these third culture students to foster their interests and knowledge especially in public like UCLA. It’s crucial to open and broaden the vista of students, so that they would have greater interaction and better understanding of the knowledge and culture in different fields, which also mean greater chance to change old stereotype of difference between art and science.

In term of technology specification, “Online Professor” incorporates with robotics technology and internet technology will make private tutoring and private research assistant possible and available to everyone at low cost. Through the Internet and computer technology, massive reproduction of “Online Professor” program can be easily achieved. It is massive reproduction, however, personal computer will allow individual to customize his/her “Online Professor”, name, personality, tone of speaking, dressing etc. Besides these technologies, art also play an important role such as making and decorating 3D digital android. The combination of science and art in making “Online Professor” not only achieve functionality as a private tutor, but also improve its aesthetics to use.

WEEK ONE—-SHIYANG ZHENG

Monday, February 9th, 2009

Generally speaking, there is certainly segregation between art and science, and difference between the south and north campus students in UCLA. On the first day of UCLA orientation, I was introduced and learned such two cultures through school history and custom. However, I have not yet found a clear definition of difference between two cultures. And I have met quite a lot of students who have interests and major on both art and science, who change their major from art to science or vice versa. Beside, a large group of students who have not decided major and have board interests in almost everything. Is the difference between two cultures still exist today after reading the assigned articles and lectures, I doubted.

In my opinion, there is only superficial and apparent difference between art and science, but no fundamental. I very agree Snow’s opinion in his “The Two cultures” that people has strong and old stereotype on both scientists and artists. They understand scientist and artist mainly based on their own imagination and little knowledge, and thinking. This is because of the inconvenience and the lack of communication between two cultures, which is due to the increasing division of the labor; and separation of science and art departments which promote the division of labor and culture barriers between two culture. The best demonstration of poor collaboration between engineering and art is the architecture of the ugly art buildings in university.

None of these state the fundamental difference between art and science. In my opinion, art and science are essentially the same. Art is the study of the beauty of the nature. Scientist is the study of the nature. They both have concern on the nature, share same boundary of exploration; and both are conducted by human. However, some people might say that art is more uncertain while science is authoritative. It’s true that science seems more accurate and reliable. But it is necessary to remember that there are thousands of failures before the arrival of axiom. Music, on the other hand, is very systematic and reasonable. And there are a lot of painting theories teaching you how to paint, how to hold a paint etc. Besides all of apparent differences above, as Snow wrote in his The Two Culture, both scientist and artist share strong intellectual curiosity. They are comparable in intelligence, identical in race, not grossly different in social origin, earning the same incomes.

In today’s society, globalization is the trend. A person can hardly be successful if he/she knows nothing beside the field of his/her study. For example, there is no typical civil engineer in industry. As a civil engineer, it’s also essential to know computer science, mechanical engineering, material engineering, and even business, laws, and art. The boundary between art and science is certainly diminishing.