Posts Tagged ‘Jessica Amaya’

Week 2: Math and Art by Jessica Amaya

Sunday, January 18th, 2009

Math, for many people, represents a dark and mysterious world, where many sleepless nights are played out in order to find the proof of some theorem. They believe the people involved in such a world are dull and serious, or crazy even. However, when thinking of art, they imagine lively characters full of life and glee. How shocking it must be, for those who posse those thoughts, to find out that art and math are intertwined. 

The truth of the matter is that mathematical shapes are found in the most beautiful flowers, that painters find so delicious to paint. The Golden Ratio, introduced in Tuesday’s lecture, also falls under both the math and art categories.  Everything can be broken down into shapes, which makes drawing, painting, sculpting, architecture and other forms of visual art possible. Of course having creativity to make those works is crucial but so is thinking of proofs to theorems.  In this day and age the division between math and art has grown but during the surrealist period (and many other modern art time periods) that division was much less solid.

Non-Euclidean geometry opened a door for so many artist to explore their talents in different levels. One of the most well known artists that was affected by this new geometry was Salvador Dali. He was interesting in expression his thoughts through a new dimension, the fourth dimension, which was what the Non-Euclidean geometry offered. Math influence on painting did not start with this however. Perspective was a huge thing that revolutionized art and  how scenes were drawn. Although many artists today use perspective just as a technique and do not understand the math behind it, they can’t change the fact that they are still doing math unconsciously.

There exist people, however, that do know that math is an essential, but not the only component, of art.  For example, there is Kenneth A. Huff who finds the mathematical shapes in nature to create prints and other visual art works. His works have a clean and intriguing beauty to them that draw the viewer in. 200512

There is an interesting proffessor in the University of Colorado who believes that math is very much art itself and that art can help explain and create an easier understanding of math. You can read about her, Carla Farsi, on the following link.

http://plus.maths.org/issue37/features/farsi/index.html

Similarly, there are courses that try to teach about art and math as one to get more people to see that math is hard, but it can be simplified with art. Such a course can be found in the following link.

http://mathforum.org/~sanders/mathart/MACcontents.html

There is a division between math and art, but I am sure that more people and more courses like the ones above will change that soon.

Beautiful math art

Beautiful math art

-Jessica Amaya

Week 1: Problem=Two Cultures

Sunday, January 11th, 2009

While searching for my classes, I came across one titled Art, Science and Technology. The immediate question that came mind was, “How can there be a class about art and science together?” Being brought up in a society, which for years has categorized these terms are polar opposites, I couldn’t help but be intrigued by it. High expectations followed me into the first day of lecture and the lecture did not fall short. The installations presented were amazing, because I got to see how well art and science (of course technology as well) worked.  They revealed that my previous thoughts, on how science and art should be kept separated were composed of a constraint view.

Yet, no matter how I may feel, it does not change the fact that many people still feel that the two should be separated. C.P. Snow writes about this notion by creating The Two Cultures, made up of artists (for one) and scientists (for the other). Her main point in creating two cultures lies in the observation that these two groups have different ways of  thinking and speak two different languages. This ties into the lecture by explaining that people grow up to be different by following ‘their’ identified category.  Which becomes the main obstacle in joining art and science or at least have them interact and collaborate with one another. 

With the main obstacle identified, a way to overcome it must follow it. One way to do this is offered by D. Bohm in his writing On Creativity. He proposes that one should be able to step out from the traditional “Methods, steps and categories are great!” kind of thinking and start to develop a new way of expressing thoughts and going about accomplishing actions. Creativity, he states, is composed of originality, which  of course cannot be defined or else it would not be original. Having creativity be part of our entity would allow everyone, no matter what field they come from to share a deep connection, because they would all be seeking to feel satisfied by their work no matter how they came about to accomplish it. While reading D. Bohm’s writing I couldn’t help but think of the video we watched during Thursday’s lecture in which a list of many famous dyslexic people was given. It was said that these people were bored with the way education is formed and that they found their own way to go about things. Precisely what D. Bohm talks about.  All the readings and the lectures paved an interesting road for me to start exploring. (Especially the example of Anne Sullivan and Helen Keller given by D. Bohm, which inspired me to work towards finding my own creativity).

They are awesome. :)

They are awesome. :)

- Jessica Amaya