Week 3 - Stephanie Mercier

You know when you Adam asked if anybody was in Psychology and was studying vision? Well I am. The last chapter I read in my Introduction to Psychology book was about the senses, mainly vision. Besides describing how the eye processes images through axons and what not the book taught me a few things about vision which I thought were interesting. Like how what we see is not actually what is there. For example, if you look at one light bulb and you look at another that’s twice as bright we don’t perceive the second bulb as being twice as bright. Or when we look at the horizon moon it appears bigger than the overhead moon even though they’re the same size.

Also, there was a picture in the book which Professor Vesna showed in class. It was of a blind man with a device over his eyes and electrodes connected to his occipital lobe. Here the point was that a camera could record what was in front of the man and that information could be sent straight to the occipital lobe for processing. In the lecture however, I think the point was to show how robotics and technology have advanced. Anyway, I thought it was cool that the picture that was in my Psychology book was used in the PowerPoint. I would post a picture but I can’t seem to find it on the internet and don’t know how to copy it from the PowerPoint. It’s on page 33.

Overall, I really liked this week’s lectures because I wasn’t as confused. Many of the topics she talked about such as industrialization and Taylorism I had learned about in my Work, Labor, and Social Justice Class that I took last year. I remember watching the Charlie Chaplin video and other videos like it and laughing, but feeling a little discomforted at the same time because that really is how working in a factory is like minus the comedy. Here’s a classic video from I Love Lucy.

I Love Lucy

Both are a criticism of the components of industrialization such as Ford’s assembly line and Taylor’s theory of scientific management. According to Taylor’s theory of scientific management, work could be reorganized into its simplest components so that a task could be done as efficiently as possible. Along with Ford’s introduction of the assembly line, industry was revolutionized. Workers on an assembly line each did a small task to produce a larger object which made the process of production efficient. The management treats the workers like robots trying to extract as much work as possible from them.

-Stephanie Mercier