Sounds/ ARt/technology (extra credit) - Joshua Wilson

After attending the lecture “When Sounds Collide,” I felt as if a whole new chapter to human development had been in the making. Peter Narins, from UCLA conducted a very effective presentation about frogs, and their ability to hear with such precision. However, the main thing I was able to do through the presentation was relate what I had learned from Desma to the lecture. What immediately struck me was the fact that we are able to connect nature to science, to help develop human technology. Pertaining to the title, this presentation really tied two cultures, as Peter spoke about “Environmental Influences on the Evolution of Acoustic Communication.” The presentation’s main focus was on how the communications of frogs help scientist develop new ways for human hearing and communication. This presentation tide two cultures in away by showing how nature, in some cases can be considered art, influences technology. Frogs have been witnessed to communicate through ultra sound, and have also found ways to block out surrounding noise that may cause interference. This discovery influenced new approaches to developing hearing aids.

The lecture by Peter Narins was pretty interesting, the lecture in a way recapped on the lecture we had on two cultures the first week of school. Art and Technology when combined, create inventions that benefit society in many ways. The world we live in today is full of wild life that influences humans daily on new inventions. For example, our very on security system I learned in an extra credit lecture that different animal panic calls have influenced our alert systems. Subsequently, the use of precision hearing from frogs will be able to benefit society, specifically those who are in need of hearing aids per say.

So if we think about it, we can find aspects of nature even in man made technology because nature imposes a heavy influence oh how we produce, and create new material. So the question: is technology natural, may seem hard to answer because technology is influenced by so many sources. Now that I think about it, medicine can be considered a combination of art and science combined to help create a substance used to heel the body.  The lecture involved a lot of information, but the information spoke on the subject so it’s not much to blog about because I basically summed it all up in the introduction paragraph.  But to close it out, Art and science collaboration has created a more stable and amusing life. Things seem more appealing and things seem to catch the eye more.

Since this is my last blog, I wanted to share how I view the art and science majors at UCLA. Personal there seem to be a division between the two, and while taking this GE I have found the art majors more creative with their projects and also how they view society. They seem to think more so out side the box, where as just following formulas and theorems all the time.  

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-03/uoia-rcf031306.php

Joshua Wilson