Nanotechnology and Society_ Junki Chae

nano3 

Our guest lecturer this week was Professor James Gimzewski of the department of chemistry and biochemistry. Gimzewski’s interests seemed to be positioned in the purpose of how natural world exhibited characteristics that are related to nanotechnology, investigating it, and trying to exploit nature to create non-natural technique s of well-organized nanotechnology utilization. One of the examples that he gave utilize was a individual blue butterfly whose wings were actually grey but the arrangement or the wing altered the reflection of the lightwaves to make it occur blue. The surface of the wing had large numbers of nano-scale structure and the test of this structure was Gimzewski’s main concern in the substance. Through some surfing, I came across the nanotechnology now website that holds information on realistically every nanotechnology part of new and the history of that area.

As always, people are always trying to find the next best thing that will earn a profit, and it seems that today, this thing is nanotechnology. Whiling I search about nanotech, I found some of  lists of consumer products that uses of nanotech. It was interesting to see how many different applications this science could be useful for, but as I continued to search other pages of products, the more absurd they seemed to me. True, some of the products were legitimate, and I know that nanotechnology applied to other fields such as place examination and research have exciting implications, but a great deal of them seemed useless. I felt like much of them were simply the result of businesses taking advantage of the nanotechnology craze in order to prey on consumer enthusiasm and desire to be a part of the ‘high tech in-crowd’.

Another matter that crossed my mind was the possible for an over reliance on technology whose dependability cannot be fulfilled by the definite technology. For example, on the previously mentioned nanotech consumer products list was a computer mouse that has a “Nano coating containing antimicrobial properties built in to protect the product from bacteria surviving on its surface”. Although in theory this might be effective, but is it actually effective? If the technology is not effective, it may create untrue sense of safety for its users, causing them to messily ignore the logical safety precautions such as washing their hands. This may be a make bigger to say this, but thinking past tendency in society’s response to increasingly better technology such as the not completely true idea that hand-sanitizer can serve as a universal protector from common germs, I could see this as a potential result.

However, Nanotechnology is certainly a powerful tool for human race in the future. Although nanotechnology is still in its early stages of growth, it holds great assurances and is well promoted in medicine. However, since only “feeling is believes” principal be relevant to nanoscience and nanotechnology, visualization art is vital for people, especially the non-science, to clutch the work of nano-scientists. However, we don’t know if nano-materials might make happen any damaged effect to us in the future.

Junki Chae