Week 1: Problem=Two Cultures

While searching for my classes, I came across one titled Art, Science and Technology. The immediate question that came mind was, “How can there be a class about art and science together?” Being brought up in a society, which for years has categorized these terms are polar opposites, I couldn’t help but be intrigued by it. High expectations followed me into the first day of lecture and the lecture did not fall short. The installations presented were amazing, because I got to see how well art and science (of course technology as well) worked.  They revealed that my previous thoughts, on how science and art should be kept separated were composed of a constraint view.

Yet, no matter how I may feel, it does not change the fact that many people still feel that the two should be separated. C.P. Snow writes about this notion by creating The Two Cultures, made up of artists (for one) and scientists (for the other). Her main point in creating two cultures lies in the observation that these two groups have different ways of  thinking and speak two different languages. This ties into the lecture by explaining that people grow up to be different by following ‘their’ identified category.  Which becomes the main obstacle in joining art and science or at least have them interact and collaborate with one another. 

With the main obstacle identified, a way to overcome it must follow it. One way to do this is offered by D. Bohm in his writing On Creativity. He proposes that one should be able to step out from the traditional “Methods, steps and categories are great!” kind of thinking and start to develop a new way of expressing thoughts and going about accomplishing actions. Creativity, he states, is composed of originality, which  of course cannot be defined or else it would not be original. Having creativity be part of our entity would allow everyone, no matter what field they come from to share a deep connection, because they would all be seeking to feel satisfied by their work no matter how they came about to accomplish it. While reading D. Bohm’s writing I couldn’t help but think of the video we watched during Thursday’s lecture in which a list of many famous dyslexic people was given. It was said that these people were bored with the way education is formed and that they found their own way to go about things. Precisely what D. Bohm talks about.  All the readings and the lectures paved an interesting road for me to start exploring. (Especially the example of Anne Sullivan and Helen Keller given by D. Bohm, which inspired me to work towards finding my own creativity).

They are awesome. :)

They are awesome. :)

- Jessica Amaya

Tags: