Week 9: Nanotechnology By: Julie Dinh

This week we focused a lot on nanotechnology. Before I entered this week I had no clue of what nanotechnology is. Based on the word, I assumed that it was something that dealt with technology only, but who knew after reading the article The Nanomeme Syndrome: Blurring of fact & fiction in the construction of a new science by Jim Gimzewski and Victoria Vesna I discovered that it mainly deals with arts and science.

This proved to me that nanotechnology is the true definition of this class because it combines all of the aspects we have learned about in this class. I truly believe that art and science will be recognized as a partnership in the future because there are so many topics that require the arts and science to co-exist. Soon we will not see them unequally, but rather a joint project that will highly impact this world.

Nanotechnology in a way is already using both the arts and science to highly impact the world. Although nanotechnology is considered mainly a science, it still needs the help of the arts and humanities to function. This was evident to me in Professor James Gimzewsk’s lecture on Thursday. He really stressed the ideas of art, science, and technology. Although we have highly advanced technologies now with science, I believe that with combining art to it we will make a combination that will help better the world. It will do so by improving technology that can allow us to further our knowledge about health and better technologies that will make this world unstoppable.

With nanotechnology, scientists are able to use particles that are extremely small to create new technologies that would allow them to further their knowledge on such diseases as cancer. They have been focusing on sciences that deal with the atomic and molecular level, allowing them to create technologies that may soon improve the treatment for cancer. With this idea they came up with an idea to create nano-shells. Nano-shells can be made to help get rid of tumors. This would highly impact the world because cancer is one of the main causes of death.

Although nanotechnology could still be related to non medical practices, my favorite idea about nanotechnology is the medical aspects of it. One thing that I found so interesting was that nanotechnology can also affect surgery. With nanotechnology using small particles, they would be able to perform surgeries inside a person’s body with a small apparatus and nanobots which repairs our bodies potentially leaving little or no scars.

Clearly there are many benefits to nanotechnology, but I am also aware of the problems it may cause. Although Gimzewski’s lecture focused on the importance of art, science, and technology in nanotechnology, he still clarified the flaws in nanotechnology. He used the example of sunscreen. By adding nanoparticles into the sunscreen, it appeared clear, but the tiny and invisible particles was harmful to the skin of consumers. Although nanotechnology may have its disadvantages, I still believe that it does us more greatness than harm. With all of the medical advances that it may provide, I am willing to take the risk of anything negative happening because with this risk we may discover technological health advances that can change the world.

By: Julie Dinh

62 Responses to “Week 9: Nanotechnology By: Julie Dinh”

1. [...] Original post: Week 9: Nanotechnology By: Julie Dinh « DESMA9_sectionA [...]

2. [...] post: Week 9: Nanotechnology By: Julie Dinh « DESMA9_sectionA a-joint-project, a-new-science, arts, class, desma9-sectiona, highly-advanced, julie, [...]

3. [...] : Nanotechnology By: Julie Dinh « DESMA9_sectionA [...]