Invisible Earthlings- Extra Credit by Diar Nejadeh

In the description of Beatriz da Costa’s Invisible Earthlings exhibit, it is said to be an examination of the relationship between human beings and non-human beings.  This relationship is made clear through the structure of the exhibit, which was seperated into seven locations of da Costa’s backyard.  A small screen above microbial samples, allowed the exhibit goer to also be inolved in the exploration process.  The touch screen allowed the viewer to interact with the exhbit by finding a blue glowing disk at the collection site and touching it with a stylus.  The collection sites included a bench, trash can, gate, flower, porch, garage, and butterfly bush.  The findings at each collection location ranged from bacteria, to fungi, to mixed cultures.  img_3630

After Week 8’s discussion of space, which is clearly associated with ideas like chaos, I couldn’t help but make the connection between this exhibit and the film shown in class by the guest speaker Gil Kuno, where a camera travels from the surface of a hand, into the inner cell structure.  Although the “Particle Group” exhibit does not make an in-depth investigation of non-human species, it, in my mind, is a commentary on the complexity of all that is around us . What we see in our daily lives, and with our own eyes, is only the surface of a deceptively complex structure of organisms and micro-organisms.  

Although, I cannot say that I am a scientist and didn’t connect to the exhibit as I suppose some might, I cannot help but realize da Costa’s choice to name her exhibit, “Invisible Earthlings”.   img_3626by Diar Nejadeh