Week 6: Biotechnology

Will the food be safe?

Will the food be safe?

Biotechnology contributes little to our natural world. Like Carol Gigliotti states in her essay, biotechnology will in the later future decrease genetic variation, one of the vary things that is needed for evolution, and it will ultimately destroy nature. With biotechnology I believe people will start to loose interest in maintaining the components of the natural world safe from extinction, because they would depend on new technologies to simply reproduce new species and even food in the labs. Just today, for example, I wanted to do a baloney sandwich so I grabbed the bread the cheese the mayonnaise and the baloney. I like my bread toasted and my baloney cooked so I put my baloney in a pan and start to cook it. It comes to my attention that I hear no sizzle sound, and there is no “fatty juice” coming out from the baloney. Instead it looks really dried up, old and rubbery. I then look at the package and read that it’s 98% fat free, I turned the package around to read the ingredients and the first thing it say its ” mechanically separated turkey”. It was quite disgusting to see how fake it looked. The point is, that anything that is not natural is no longer “real”. Personally, I agree with Gigliotti’s stand on biotechnology. It is not a good thing to associate with art, to me it taints its aura, by making the mistreatment of animals acceptable. Even though they might say that techniques are being created to lessen or not even cause pain the animals It is still wrong. If biotechnology advances what will become of animals and even humans in the future?

The future?
The future?

-Jessica Amaya