Week 5- Midterm Blog

Week 1 to me was basically the thesis for the class. CP Snow’s “The Two Culture” explained how the humanities & arts and the sciences should not be as distinct as conventional wisdom makes them out to be. That they should coexist with one another, that they aren’t as different as we assume them to be, and at the very least, one should appreciate both perspectives and if possible, refer to both of them as academically valid. I’m a south campus major, biology, I rarely ever go up to north campus. If I do, it is usually in Bunche for a chemistry discussion section. The only north campus classes I have, including this one, are all GE classes and none of more pre-requisite for the major involves non-science courses. Week 2 was a combination of mathematics, perspective, time, and space. My calculus teacher once told me that everything can be explained through mathematics, that if we had something to say, we would develop an equation, and if we had nothing to say, we would instead write an essay. Although I would not agree with him that everything can nor should be explained through mathematics, I got from it that mathematics does make the world go around. From our computers to cell phones to technology in general, at its very core, we can thank mathematics. Mathematics, although at first thought, I think of equations and deriving equations to make more equations, but from desma9 class, we see countless artists using mathematics, which encompasses perspective, time, and space, for art. MC Escher was a master when it came to perspective as well as time and space, his physically impossible artworks challenges our mental image of reality. Others use math in their music, which is known as “math rock”. Week 3 was industrial age, kinetic art, robotics, and cybernetics. Robotics relates to week 2 because math is what creates the robot’s codes and programs. We have seen robotics in art through films as well as in reality. From walking robots such as ASIMO to dancing robots, we are fascinated to try to have a non-living thing mimic human actions as closely as possible. Robots, although they run due to math, codes, and program; their design is very artistic. The creation of robotics is both science and aesthetically sound. Week 4, we finally reach something that isn’t pure numbers and is in fact quite opposite to robotics, as in the human body and medicine. The human body or organisms in general is basically what the study of biology and life science is all about. One can study each and every anatomy and how they interact with each other. One can study how the medical field can help our bodies function better or recover quicker. But the human body is not pure science; some may even argue that the human body is one of the most beautiful pieces of art. At the very least our bodies have been revised so many times through evolution; we are very complex organisms. And to relate to robotics, many of the newer robots are human like visually and action wise. These robots have very similar movement and speech as humans.

andorid

My project is a mouth guard with motorized brushes to improve oral hygiene which I am calling the mouth brush. To me, it is neither just science-orientated nor art-orientated, it represents both sides. This representation of both sides was the theme of week 1 and CP Snow’s “The Two Culture”. The science part is building the device, the art and aesthetic part is the design as well as acquiring a pearly white smile through regular uses of the device. A pearly white smile is much more aesthetically sound than a set of yellow teeth and blackening gums. As for week 2’s theme of mathematics, it is going to be design by engineers, so the actually construction of the mouth brush technology is going to be mathematical. As for week 3, although the mouth brush is not exactly robotics, but it is a piece of technology used to more effectively clean our teeth. Many further advances, such as the use of nanobots to clean our teeth will have a better relationship to robotics. And finally, my idea of the mouth brush was related best to week 4, the human body and medicine. The mouth is part of the human body; there is a complete field in the study of oral biology as well as teeth structure and anatomy. The whole medical field is the study of the human body and medicine. Medicine for oral hygiene can be seen through something as simple as tooth paste with fluoride, chewing gum with xylitol to more complex medicine used in oral surgery. All in all, all four weeks in some way related to the development and idea of my project.

smile

By Arthur To