Week 5 Midterm Blog by Mitch Platter

The assignment for this week’s blog is a little different than usual, seeing as how we are basically asked to relate all of our blogs to each other. The first week discussed the theme of the “two cultures,” being science and art. Using this as the foundation, it becomes fairly simple to relate all the other topics to this common theme. In the second week, we discussed mathematics, perspective, time and space. Several artists have taken a mathematical approach to their works, including the famous M.C. Esther, who manipulated perspectives to create some of the most mind-boggling effects ever seen.  Esther exemplifies the relation of art and science through his use of perspective, and by doing so, connects are first two weeks. The third week of class brought about the idea of the industrial age, kinetic art, and technology. The relationship here between the two cultures is obvious. Science has created these new technologies, in which artists use to create pieces of artwork. Professor Vesna’s works, shown to us at the beginning of the quarter, exemplifies this idea of using technology, created through the field of science, to add new elements to the field of art.  This brings us to week four, human body and art. The way in which I think this is connected to the two cultures is the human body itself is an ideal example of science and technology. Our bodies consist of the Golden Ratio several times over, which makes everyone’s body a unique part of art.  The complex systems that live inside of us, such as the respiratory and digestive, are terribly complicated and intricate, highlighting the scientific aspect of the human body.

My inspiration for creating my project The Dream Machine came from a combination of all of these ideas. The ones I feel that I used the most are the two cultures, naturally, and that of the human body.  My major is Psychobiology, so naturally when the human body was brought up, I thought about how the brain itself could relate to the field of art. This led me to the idea of dreams, and if we could create visual representations of our dreams, what it could possibly do for the field of art.  This idea naturally ties in science, which would make all of this possible. Science has allowed us to discover what part of the brain is responsible for dreams, which is the basis of my project. Also, perspective comes into play in the dream machine. In theory, the Dream Machine would be creating an alternate reality, in which you can live out the dreams you had the night before in a large room full of projectors. The idea of creating basically a new world fully uses the idea of perspective and its relation to art.

By Mitch Platter