Archive for the ‘week_4’ Category

Week 5: Midterm Post. Simon Wiscombe.

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

The course thus far has moved in a fairly linear manner, and I will proceed to discuss the topics that I felt were most important to both society, and myself and tie them together. The very first topic discussed, the division of two cultures, is probably the most important issue that the class will cover. Not to downplay the importance of everything else, the idea that there still remains a division between the two greatest contributors in society (the artists and the scientists) is a dagger in the development of the western civilizations. An entire quarter and an entire master’s or PhD thesis could be spent debating the finer matters of the two cultures, but a sufficient summation of the problem was given in the beginning of the class. This summation addressed, most importantly, the division that is epitomized by the University system; sciences and humanities are cleanly divided and no cross-communication ever takes place.

Having said that, the rest of the class is focusing on the exceptions to this claim. In a sort of, “drag you down to bring you up,” kind of maneuver, the class begins navigating through both time and scientific development and showing how art has either reflected, influenced, or resulted from the development of science. We began with geometry and the development of said dimensions and their effect on art. The first of two key examples being optics and its influence on the idea of one-point and two-point perception in artistic development, and the second being the parallel development of science and art exploring the 4th dimension, and the eventual agreement that this dimension is time–the passage of the 3rd dimension through a 4th. From here we spring-boarded into art in the age of mechanical and digital production, and studied eventual beginning of the want of society to interpret and predict the future of science through art. Movies became the main focus of the class at this point, as they are direct artistic reflection of societal opinions. Then we began a discussion that will continue past the midterm: that of medical advancements and how they apply into the artistic field. Once can’t help but feel that all of this information is a set-up to explore the future of the interaction between the two cultures. It is something that one can only hope becomes more and more intertwined as people begin to apply one to the other.

My midterm project proposal involves a direct tackling of this two cultures concept. To give you a brief idea of my project (for those of you who aren’t the TA), my project is a series of videos targeted at K-12 classrooms that aim to educate the class about scientific principles by directly involving and engaging them in humorous and educational sketches as well as setting them up to perform experiments that tie directly into said sketches and storyline. Think of it as Bill Nye the Science Guy meets Mythbusters meets a Disney Theme Park Attraction.

The nature of my project forces scientists and creative writers to come together to fabricate a product that aims to tackle a societal issue: the lack of proper science teaching expertise in the classroom. The writers and scientists must come together to create scenarios that the students must be able to base experiments and scientific observations (for an example, see my presentation). My project also tackles the idea that science and entertainment must be separate. Too long have scholars and artists segregated themselves to such an extent that they hesitate to merge their fields. Artists insist that art exists to be defined solely as art, while scientists turn their nose up at any influence art may have on science, despite the claims many of them have that, “science is an art.” This is a meeting between the two: sketch comedy with an educational twist combined with scientific experiments and invention with an emotional story and attachment. It is determined to engage the student as well as educate them. It is meant to drive the “spark” that is required for further interest in science, and thus, to drive the development of a strong scientific American background.

- Simon Wiscombe

Week 5: Midterm Post By Julie Dinh

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Throughout the beginning of this quarter we have been trying to grasp the concept of the “two cultures” of science and art and the connection of the two. Although society overlooks the connection, in reality, one cannot survive without the other. According to dictionary.com, science is defined as a “systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.” In comparison to art, which is defined in dictionary.com as “the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.”

Apparently by reading the two definitions, the two cultures do not seem as though they are in the same realm, but in the past five weeks, Desma 9 has taught me that these two cultures are similar in that they are necessities and that they both coexist.

During week one of Desma 9, we studied the two cultures of art and science and how they connect to each other. We learned that science can be incorporated into art. We specifically had examples of this the second week when we studied how mathematics dealt with art and how it could be made into art. How trigonometry and geometry figures can be formed into art. Mathematics I would consider a kind of science because they go hand in hand and once you think of science you think mathematics proving that science and art do connect in some way. The third week we studied robotics and technology and how they both can be a combination of art and science. This was true because we studied a lot about robotics and how much science and art we need for robots to function. We realized that science and art very well coexist in creating robots. In order to make the robots function and do as we want them to do we need to use science and for them to appeal to others and have this “ordinary significance” is where art influences robotics.

Clearly throughout the weeks we studied how science and art coexist and how certain ideas cannot function without both. We also demonstrated the connections between science and art during the fourth week when we studied the Oath by Hippocrates. In this oath it talks about the science of medication and surgeries and how it can be interpreted as art also. I saw the connection of art and science in the Oath by Hippocrates in that we need science to save lives because with experiments and observations they can make medications and figure out different procedures to save patients. I also see it as art in that life is an art. Life is the most beautiful thing that one can experience and to be able to create medicines and operate on others to save lives is an art within itself. Attempting to save a life is one of the most magnificent and beautiful things.

After learning that art and science coexist, I came up with the project that I call “Plasty Bed” because it deals with art, science, and technology. “Plasty Bed” is a project that allows people to participate in plastic surgery without going under the knife to reduce dangerous risks of plastic surgery such as malfunctions and worst, deaths. “Plasty Bed” is an art in that people are able to express themselves through their desired look. Plastic surgery is a way for a person to embrace life and be confident about themselves and I consider feeling beautiful and confident about yourself as art. “Plasty Bed” is considered a science because it takes the concept of an open surgery and transforms it into a procedure that deals with natural chemicals. These natural chemical will provide a safe procedure for patients and give them the look that they have always desire without negative consequences.

Clearly, science and art coexist and at times cannot work without one another. Throughout the first half of Desma 9 we learned the connection of art and science and how complex the two are and how their complexity compliments each other.

By Julie Dinh

Week5: midterm post

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

As I think about midterm project, I had to confront the major issue I had been having recently: no imagination. Ever since I stopped reading books and got into computer games, I couldn’t think about any new ideas. Things I have learned in the class are valuable. But I didn’t think about gather them altogether into one project. So I sat down and started to draw flow charts.

First of all, I learned that stereotype is the main barrier that crosses between an artistic culture and a scientific culture. The first week’s lectures were intended to get rid of that barrier and understand the connection between two cultures. Second week was deepening step from the first week: nature in mathematics, mathematics in nature. On that week, I could understand why we should study art and scienct together. I think the third week: robotics was the connection bridge to the last week’s concept: human body. Since the first week, human body was mentioned as the best example of art and science harmonized into one subject. Body has similar mechanisms as the robots yet also has golden ratio of nature.

Then I decided to make project related to body. The first thing coming into my mind was diet. Since the body is the ultimate product of mixture of art and science, it makes sense that people are dying to make it more beautiful and one of the way to produce beautiful body is diet costing their fortune and life. And I am also on the diet, it would be easier to think about something that would boost the progress. I always wanted something that can help people losing their weight without doing hard exercises. I tried many things including injecting CO2 under my skin but it didn’t help much. Then why do I need to pay my money and time for nothing? The whole concept of exercise, laser surgery, diet pills is one thing. Stimulate body’s metabolism to produce heat energy and destroy the fat cells with that heat. The only thing I need to do is find the method to produce that heat without taking any external action. That’s how I came up with the midterm project-the easy way to make beautiful body using science.

The project was very enjoyable as soon as I came up with the idea. Even though I do not have good skills as the art major students, I tried to draw the pictures by myself after a long time. Opening photoshop and looking at the canvas were even thrilling. But the depressing side also was waiting for me. To write up the concept, I dug into every single facts I’ve learn about diet: food intakes, period of exercise, and statistics and had to face the facts I have been trying not to accept. It was very surprising that even the young girls (9 to 10 years old) are also stressed about their weight. That is unavoidable trend following the beauty especially when that beauty earns the fame and money. But then how much money and life energy was put into to get that result? The whole trend about diet, including my proposal is pathetic but it is the world that we are living in.

Jhi-Yeon Oh

803551330

Week5_Midterm Blog

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Midterm Blog

Part I

The main purpose of this course is to explore the relationship between science and art, and the topics of the past weeks are closely related to each other in that sense. They deal with the topic of how science and art interact and work with each other. Some topics examine this issue from an aesthetic angle while others examine it from an empirical angle. But the goal is always the same: to analyze the dynamics in the ties between science and art.

The first topic is the one that is the most direct. It deals specifically with the direct comparison between science and art. This topic gets right to the heart of the issue and forces one to think deeply about the relationship between science and art in order to come to a conclusion. The second topic is about dimensions. At first glance, the topic of dimensions might seem to only concern science, as dimensions of objects are largely used in scientific problems. However, art also works with dimensions quite often. For example, an artist might want to know the dimensions of the objects he is drawing or the dimensions of the canvas that he is working on. Therefore, this topic of dimensions concerns both science and art. The third week’s topic is about using science to create art and explores the utilities of both subjects. The topic seems to claim that the quality of a work of art depends on the expertise of the artist and the level of the technology used to create the artwork. The fourth topic, however, seems to me to only deal with science and have nothing to do with art. It is about the Hippocratic Oath, which is undertaken by medical students upon graduation and does not even mention anything related to art. This topic probably serves to illustrate the greater usefulness and practicality of science in comparison to art.

Part II

My topic is more closely related to science than it is related to art. My topic deals with hazardous wastes, which is a problem that mostly arises from scientific exploits as well as scientific compounds. However, the solution to this problem may be derived from either a scientific approach or an artistic approach. In my project, I chose to go with a scientific approach.

This topic is related to science because hazardous wastes largely come from chemical wastes that are expelled by industries and factories. These chemical compounds are scientific substances that have little to do with art. Art might play a small role in contributing to hazardous waste in that artists may dispose of their tools and supplies improperly, resulting in an increase in hazardous waste, but this kind of contribution, as well as most individual contributions to hazardous wastes, are relatively small in comparison to the wastes created by industries. Since these industries mostly create waste through scientific chemicals, science plays a much larger role in this issue than art.

Solutions to this problem may vary. The solution proposed in my project was to impose a situation on individuals where they have to personally come into contact with the hazardous wastes in order to understand its harmful effects. This is a scientific approach because the method is empirical in nature. However, it is also entirely possible to utilize an artistic approach to solve this problem. Artists may try to raise awareness to this issue by creating murals or other art forms to put on public display. This way, people can also get an idea of how hazardous wastes are affecting society. However, this method might not be as effective as the scientific approach because the audience is not physically experiencing the effects; it is merely an out-of-body experience.

Wen Wu

week 5 - summary of the quarter by Abraham Harn

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Over the past 5 weeks, we have explored both science and art on how the two can relate from each other.  Right from the first week, we were introduced the idea of two cultures, and if the two can coexist. While most of the students agree that two cultures support and help the growth of each other, we have not seen an abundant amount of examples. As the quarter went on however, we discovered how mathematics can be interpreted and even visualized by artists in very creative and very thought provoking ways. Take the fourth dimension for example, it is not only a philosophical question that troubled the well respected mathematicians such as Elbert Einstein himself, but it also created endless debates among artists on what this dimension would look or feel like.

Then we moved on to discover how mechanics, technology and robotics have become an important part of not just art, but our everyday lives. An interesting debate we had in our discussion section revolved around whether or not dancing by the dancing robots can be considered a form of art. Some students argued that the idea of art ties closely with emotions and human reactions to unexpected situations. For example, when you are dancing, and there happens to be a puddle of water in front of you, you improvise and alter your dance moves while avoiding the water. Can a robot do that? Does the lack of emotion qualify their preset movements as “art”?

We wrapped up the first half of the quarter by looking at plastic surgery, the idea of humans playing the role of god and changing medical facts. This again brought our section discussion into talking about what art means. The creation of mankind is a beautiful process that has led to the concept of art, people judge physical appearances and has a mind set of what is beautiful and what is not. But with advancement in medicine, people gained the ability to change physical appearance and alter them in a way that is considered beautiful. Is this still be considered as art? And where do we draw the line of human intervention on something that is suppose to be natural? Art and science are closely related, although as we have seen, the two not only support each other, but can be, if look at it at the right angle, conflicting to each other.

For my midterm project, I have decided to work on this relationship of art and science and show that the two are mutually beneficial if executed under the right circumstances. Science has allowed for simulations of the real world to be so believable and in some sense, even better than the real world. By using a program like The Sims 2, I was able to recreate my house in a computerized environment, and to be able to manipulate it in a way that isn’t immediately possible or available in real life. This kind of freedom to manipulate real life gives great innervations and endless ideas to design a better living space, and in other more sophisticated programs, a better city, or a better world.

By Abraham Harn

Week5_Midterm Blog_Heeseok Lee

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

In this quarter, DESMA 9 has shocked me with the idea of putting science and art together since the two, art and science, seem like they are from two opposite sides of the universe. However, after a few classes have gone by, it has broken down my stereotypes and I have broadened my insight on relationship between art and science together. Especially, North-south mixer event makes me realize that scientists and artists are trying to communicate and collaborate with each other by breaking the walls between them.
The first week, dealt with the idea of “Two Cultures” implies that society is split in half between the literary intellectuals and the scientific intellectual. According to C.P. Snow, the problem of two cultures is due to the desire for specialization that comes with higher education. Actually, it is true that this separation becomes worse with time and specialization of education. However, the second week, we discussed how we can connect the art and science, more specifically, the idea of Mathematics, Perspective, Time and Space. We learned about concepts like the golden ratio in architecture and also apply it to celebrities. As appreciating some art works, we could see how Mathematics can be and have been applied to create a piece of art. Week 3 dealt with a more practical and recent technology. With the idea of Industrial Age, Kinetic Art, and Robotics, it was really amazing to see how current technologies has improved and been used as medium of art. We discussed if robotic art is “real” art, regarding creativity. I personally think that robotic art such as dancing or painting is not decent art, because robots are just programmed by human and have no thought or emotion to express.
Personally, I really enjoyed week 2’s topic, Mathematics, Perspective, Time and Space. For blog assignment, I actually apply the golden ratio theory to pyramid by calculating whether it was constructed in golden ratio.
http://classes.design.ucla.edu/Winter09/9-1/blog/a/?p=578
In every single structure in pyramid, there exists ancient Egyptian culture, their value, and even their mathematical, scientific knowledge. It is amazing how ancient Egyptian put their culture and technologies together to construct giant tombs. It really reminds me this class, DESMA 9’s purpose. I could see how Vesna puts effort to explain and enlighten students from various fields to break the wall between them and make harmony without segregation.
My midterm project is called “Sleeping performance”. The intention of this project is to show how human’s brain works during sleep, and visualize a person’s mental and physical change with music and story-telling video. There are four states of brain waves during sleeping; beta, alpha, theta, and delta. In each state of waves shows different amplitude and frequencies and unconscious mind would be exposed by getting into deeper states. I want mix musical and visual illustration to show what human is thinking and seeing during sleep. Brain wave sensor will capture the participant’s waves and the frequencies of waves will be visualized by program which is also used in iTunes, winamp, window media player, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ale6AZ_nPvs
I intend to mix human biological science and visual and performing art, by projecting big waves of neon lights and simulated video clip, which represents brain wave and image of dream during sleep. see Audience can be experimenter, and experimenter can be audience vice-versa. By encouraging people to participate to this project, they would, hear, and experience how brain works and unconscious mind is exposed. Interactive art form is the main point of this project.

Week 5: Midterm project oh yeah. by Leah Sitler

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Working on my midterm project was surprisingly enjoyable.  I did research on a subject that is incredibly interesting to me, but not related to my major at all.  My exhibit explores and interacts with the theory behind Einstein’s general relativity.  It was fun trying to convert Einstein’s ideas into a tangible model that can be interacted with; taking the abstract and making it concrete.

While the exhibit is based upon mathematical and physical concepts and equations, it also deals with art through the visual expression of these concepts.  I believe that philosophy is a form of art, as it is the creation of beautiful and expressive ideas and concepts.  With that mindset, Einstein was also a great artist.  As I read his proofs during my research, it made a surprising amount of sense to me because he rationalizes everything philosophically before he proves it mathematically.  Once again, it seems that the recurring theme of DESMA 9—the inseparability of art and science—is made apparent in this project.

Another theme that has been recurring throughout the course that is also apparent in my project is objectivity vs. subjectivity.  Einstein’s theory basically asserts that nothing in the universe is objective, even space and time cannot be deemed consistent.  Even something as simple as the straight line is no longer a valid concept:

“The laws according to which solid bodies may be arranged in space do not completely accord with the spatial laws attributed to Euclidean geometry.  This is what we mean when we talk of the “curvature of space.”  The fundamental concepts of the “straight line,” the “plane,” etc., thereby lose their precise significance in physics.”–Albert Einstein

The cold mechanical science that is governed by unchanging and universal laws is no longer a valid explanation of the universe, thanks to Einstein’s breakthroughs.  Just as mass and time are now surprisingly related, so art and science cannot be fathomed or created without each other.

Einstein has proven that the only consistency in the world is inconsistency.  Subjectivity is, ironically, the only thing that can be relied upon.  This reminds me of lyrics from Bright Eyes’ song “We Are Nowhere:”

“…if you swear that there’s no truth, and who cares how come you say it like you’re right?”

This brings up another theme that has been present throughout the course so far:  the search for truth.  Whether it is through a mathematical equation of the universe or the cure for cancer, humankind is constantly striving for the answers.  But what if the answer is that we will never find the answer?  What if the truth is only found in the absence of truth?  What if the answer is infinity?  I firmly believe that it is human nature to keep striving and searching for answers, even if that which we are striving for is unattainable.  We will keep developing robots even if they will never fully resemble humans, we will still keep searching for cures even if death and disease are inevitable.  We will keep trying to quantify everything into one mathematical formula, even if all rationality tells us that it is impossible.

However, it is important to understand that we live in a cause-effect world in which no one can exist independent of the things around them.  We must be aware of our impact on others, and on the world around us.  Ignorance is not a valid excuse.  The interconnectivity of Einstein’s universe is just one manifestation of this concept. 

There are many more themes that have been present throughout the first half of the course, and many more connotations and implications that can be drawn from Einstein’s theories.  My project hopes to consolidate these themes and many more through the interaction with Einstein’s general relativity.

Week 5 Midterm Andrew Ruesch

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Since the first class in DESMA9, we have talked about Two Cultures, Mathematics, Medicine, and Robotics. Each of these subjects helped us distinguish how technology and art play a significant part in the creation of each other.  Two cultures was one of my favorite lectures, because it helped illustrate how Science and art cannot coexist without each other. I thought Science and Art were completely different and really had nothing in common. But professor Vesna proved me wrong. The golden rule was something I distinctly remember. Its amazing to see how even the art of nature has to do with science, and the golden rule is a great example of this.

Over the first half of the class I have really started to change the way I think about art. –and science! It’s great to understand the history that backs some of the ideas Professor Vensa illustrates for us. She is very creative in how and what she chooses to teach us, especially the week on Medicine. The week on medicine helped me make my decision for my topic on the midterm.

My midterm project idea was challenging to think of at first. Although after thinking about it and reading blogs on the medicine week, I finally came up with device that would help people in America with their obesity problem. And through creating this device I used the medium of digital art to create a fun and motivating item. Through the use of a hand held device, one can use this to help them reduce of the excess fat on their body. The user will receive up to date statistics on their every day consumption and this apparatus will cut off the industry of weight loss medicine. Forcing people to see exactly what they put into their bodies in relation to the effects it takes. The purpose of the project is to educate and help obese people in America.

After researching on the topic it really made me think that even though this is a proposal project there really should be something like this in affect. It’s sad to think almost 4 million people are obese. My idea is that people in America don’t need to take A,B, and X drugs but rather focus on living a healthy lifestyle with exercise and proper nutrition. Relating it back to how this proposal fits into the ideas in class, the device requires technology in order to produce and it also requires art in order to make to visually attractive. –not to mention if you think about the transformation of the obese people. 

Andrew Ruesch

303 497 901

Week 5_Midterm Blog: Intersecting, Interweaving, and Interfering by Madeline Schwarz

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

When I first enrolled in DESMA 9, I expected that the course would discuss only those instances when art, science, and technology coincidentally intersected, unintentionally being influenced and informed by the other academic advancements of their time. Looking back upon the first half of DESMA 9, however, I became aware of two more equally important ways in which revolutionary artists and scientists are disproving the archaic notion of “Two Cultures” we studied in Week 1. From what I have observed so far, art, science, and technology can collide in three ways: 

1) Intersecting. Artists can inadvertently incorporate mathematical and scientific principles into their work, or use the innovations that, thanks to technological developments of their age, are readily available to them. Similarly, scientific discoveries can be “anticipated” by prior work in art and design. No course attempting to synthesize these three topics would be complete without touching upon these blissful intersections: the Golden Ratio in artwork and celebrity faces we found aesthetically pleasing, the anticipatory architecture of Buckminster Fuller, and other math/art crossroads discussed during Week 2.

2) Interweaving. Several artistic movements have manipulated science and technology to broaden their creative avenues. Such a deliberate appropriation of the “other culture” into one’s own is manifested in the work of Cubists and Surrealists using the newfound “fourth dimension,” and in musicians  who have attempted to sonically replicate mathematical sequences and patterns (all discussed during Week 2). Moving into kinetics, robotics, and industrialization during Week 3, we saw artists like Frank Malina and Roy Ascott creating exhibitions that incorporated kinetics and interactive technologies, and Ken Feingold, Chico MacMurtrie, and Toni Dove, who used robotics in their artistic installations. Finally, in dealing with the subject of medicine and art during Week 4, we were presented with a myriad of adventurous artists who modified their own bodies as art using medical technologies, or who created art out of human body components.

3) Interfering. When artists react to the scientific and technological situations of their times, often making radical statements about the nature and purpose of these innovations, they have the ability to impact their viewers’ perceptions. They thus can actually interfere with the scientific community, throwing themselves into the center of the other “culture” by propagating commentary about its actions. The many films presented during the first half of this course certainly fall under this category; we saw how science fiction utilizes the art (or is it a science…?) of filmmaking to present exaggerated viewpoints and visions of technology’s progression. Similarly, the Particle Group’s installation at the C(n)SI was an artistic response to the emerging and controversial field of nanotechnology.

I decided I would work primarily within the third category for my midterm project, Infinite Possibilities: A Multimedia Dance Piece About Embryonic Stem Cell Research. With all of the biotechnologies of our generation, like genetic engineering, nanotechnology, and new surgical techniques, most of the artists who “interfere” with these areas seem to express only their fears, concerns, and objections to an ominous future, casting “scientists” and “engineers” in a negative light. But can’t a positive reaction to new scientific technologies be just as effective and meaningful? If a line of research shows promise, must we always deride it as invasive, unethical, and perilous?

This was what motivated me to propose my midterm project, using dance in conjunction with informative video and audio not only to educate audiences about what embryonic stem cells are and how they can be used, but to illustrate my point of view in support of stem cell research. Now that embryonic stem cell research is making new strides (the NIH approved the first clinical trial transplanting these cells into humans just last month), and is becoming extremely significant not only biomedically, but politically, I felt that this project would effectively utilize the art form of dance to inform audiences about it and comment on its vast potential.

- Madeline Schwarz

Week 5 midterm blog - Esteban Torres

Saturday, February 7th, 2009

Week 5 - Tying it Together by Esteban Torres

703 668 694

During the first part of the Winter Quarter in Desma 9, we began discussing the connection between art and science, finding so many examples of how these two are interdependent, and in fact belong to one culture rather than two.  Slowly but surely we delved into the complications of our subjects at hand (science and art), and I personally began to notice the importance of decisions within the context of an organic process.

This last sentence seems vague, I know, but let me explain.  Since human beings were living in caves and up and through today, art and science have organically evolved by the efforts of individuals, and the individuals before them.  New generations pick up where the old generations have left off, and so in the thousands of years that have passed, the evolution of our human practice is truly mind-boggling.  Compare the worries of a single man in New York City versus the worries of a man living in prehistoric times – the difference is astonishing considering we are talking about the same species of being.  And there was a time when improving human society happened organically, and no one would think of putting a halt to such improvements.  But think of today: We are so advanced and will become so much more advanced in the near future that we now consider halting this growth because we begin to see some of the losses that come from it.  Ethics and decisions become an enormous part of the process, and that is what I think our topic of discussion has boiled down to at the end of week 5.  A very obvious example is the birth of artificial intelligence, and how this is a movement that faces serious criticism because there comes a point in which that which we have created performs the art, not the master anymore.  We are afraid of the implications of losing a certain control and hurting ourselves with machines (in creative ways, jobs, etc.)

In the context of art, we begin to see how machines do a lot of the art that we appreciate, and sometimes question whether or not this is art anymore.  If it has the same emotion or not. When we see the dancing robots, we stop and think if we have lost something, but some of us simply see it as a new evolution of art.  The new photography for example, an artwork that society has come to embrace even though many people criticized it and called it a sort of “click art.”

Ethics come into play in decisions of science and health.  Without a doubt we will continue to know more and more about the human body and how to alter it.  We realize there are plenty of positive things to come out of this, but we also worry that we will lose our humanity.  But who knows, maybe in a hundred years when all the babies in the world have been genetically modified to be super babies, they will think we were foolish to think of these things.  “It’s just like treating a disease, except you treat it before you get it” they might think.

I am sort of a romantic sometimes and seem to reject notions of modern world when I feel like they hinder our own humanity, which is the best thing that we have to offer.  You hear your grandparents talking about the nights in the living room with no television and the family dynamic that some families seem to have lost in this modern age, and you sometimes think: They’re right, those were better times.  So my project dealt with an aspect of human emotion, and I talked about creating a new spoken language that would be more emotive than the rest because the sounds themselves would be representative of the words.  In this way, humans could regain some of this lost communication that has come from all the new ways of digital communication.  I thought that my topic tied into the class because it dealt with a decision to alter the flow of digitalization.  It is a judgment coupled with actions, and humans make the decision to say: I don’t like where this is going, because everyday the world loses individuality and replaces it with shiny robots and materialism.  So that is how I decided on my topic of “the language of feelings.”