Archive for the ‘week_4’ Category

Week 5 - The Concept that Connects All - Shanpeng Li

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

We began the course by focusing on the concept of “Two Cultures” between the sciences and art. In my opinion this concept is the central idea of the course and ties the later topics all together. The Two Cultures concept talked about how in our developing society, there exists a separation between the population. One is mainly focused on scientific study and knowledge while the other focused mainly on the arts and literature. This divergence produced high specialization in particular fields but did not allow crossovers and interaction because the two fields simply cannot communicate with each other efficiently. In my opinion this separation placed a limit on true innovation and creativity, the cooperation of these two fields will give rise to countless artistic yet technologically advanced creations.

Eventually we moved onto the field of mathematics and how it’s related to the arts. Witnessing examples from numerous slides and online research, I can say that creating a piece of artwork depended very strongly on the use of mathematics and perspective. Only through careful mathematical calculations can a piece of artwork appear to the viewers with the desired perspective. This topic is one of the great examples that combine the two cultures to create a product that encompasses the better aspects of both.

During the third week, we focused on the topic of industrial art and robotics. This is one of the most interesting topics because it relates some of the most advanced technology today to the creation of artwork. This again shows the correlation between the sciences and arts and how the combination of the two can create extremely artistic works. Artists can now express their imagination through the creation of robots or advanced machinery and by expressing it through the robots. For example, the video of the dancing robots is a prime example of the expression of art through the robots by programming them to perform dance certain dance moves.

The last of the topics we discussed focused on the field of medicine and body art. As a biology major, I took particular interest in this topic as it is amazing what technology allows us to perform in today’s world. Some of the topics we discussed include body art such as plastic surgery or artificial organs that appeal to the artistic world. Both of these topics connect the two fields of arts and sciences together in such a fashion that it is extremely appealing. We saw numerous pictures displaying body artworks being painted onto someone’s skin or technologically advanced equipment being used for surgical procedures. Plastic surgery, while many view it as a procedure to better one’s image, can also be used to create artistic creations on the body.

My project involves a highly technologically advanced equipment to promote awareness of the pollution that is occurring in today’s largest bodies of water. First of all, the creation of the equipment requires skilled mathematic calculations and scientific planning. Following the creation of the equipment, it has to be designed in such a way that it does not simply look like a big piece of metal being carried by the user. In a sense, this machinery is similar to the robotics topic we discussed in week 3, the creators of the equipment is expressing their artistic visions through the making of the underwater breathing apparatus. With the combination of both the arts and sciences, my project will allow the user to experience what pollution is doing to the oceanic ecosystems and hopefully spread awareness for its recovery.

-Shanpeng Li

Week 5 _ Midterm Review _ Sarah Van Cleve

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

The past few weeks we’ve been learning about science under the umbrella topic of “two cultures.” The idea of two cultures is how we connect the largely science based material that we’ve been learning about with art. For this reason we spent most of Week One discussing how art and science can be and perhaps should be very closely related even though they are not often seen that way in our society. Since then we have been focused on different aspects of science while looking for connections to art on the side. Week Two’s material was based in Mathematics and Perspective. We looked at mathematical constants like pi and how they can significantly affect beauty in things like seashells and bodily proportions. Here there is a natural connection between art and fact-based science but in other subjects we had to make more of an effort to find associations. The topics for Week Three were the Industrial Age and robotics. We discussed great scientists and great discoveries of the past and then talked about the amazing advances in the field of robotics today. Though it is hard to argue that your ordinary robot is a piece of art, we found several ways to show that the creators of robots can be artists. One “artist”/robot manufacturer gave his robots distinct facial expressions while another artist composed a choreographed dance for his robots to perform in sync.

dancing-sony-robots

Above is an image of the dancing Sony robots that we watched perform in a video during class.

In any piece of science that was innovative we managed to find some artist creativity. Then we moved on to learning about the human body and medicine in Week Four. Professor Vesna lectured about new medical technologies and the sometimes questionable ethics involved. We looked at plastic surgery in particular as a form of art and debated whether it is ethical to transform the human body in such extreme ways even for the sake of “art.”

In my midterm project I took the same approach of focusing on the science and incorporating the art quietly. My project is an exhibit called “Hypoxic Waters” which is essentially an experience that educates participants on the serious problems caused by pollution in the Chesapeake Bay. Still, I think my exhibit can be called art. I believe that art is creativity and inspiration. While my exhibit is focused mainly on learning about science and factual problems facing the health of the Bay I think that it’s art in that it is meant to inspire. “Hypoxic Waters” is supposed to help people understand the challenges facing underwater organisms in the hopes that they will become educated on the subject and maybe even inspired enough to take action and seek political support.

Sarah Van Cleve

Midterm Post

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

The Topics from the first four weeks have the unifying theme that science, technology, and Art are all linked.  Art inspires the creation of new technologies, just as technology inspires the creation of Art.  The general theme of this course, has been to prove that in our society we have separated the sciences from art, and that this separation is detrimental to society.  Throughout the course many instances of Art and Science working in concert have been demonstrated, and how in these instances great things can result.  We have seen how artists using the abilities of computers to create CGI have enabled viewers of different media to have an extreme experience.  We have seen how beauty results from mathematics in reference to the golden ratio.  Both art and Science have stemmed from nature, and as such both are inextricably linked.  The goal of science and art are the same in that we as humans wish to participate in Nature, and this shared goal should serve as a bridge to unite both sides of society.  One of the more interesting subjects that we touched on was the robot’s dancing, and whether or not in can be considered a dance.  This idea evolves from societies need to categorize and describe things.  Without the divide in society of science and art the robot dance would be called just that, a dance.  As time moves on our society has moved more and more into incorporating the two groups of Art and Science.

My project Idea relates to the theme of the course in that it takes an extremely complicated computer science idea and translates it into an aesthetically pleasing physical network.  This project will help to close the gap between Art and Science and hopefully blur the line just a little bit.  Our society continues with everything it creates to make exceptions to the rule of the separation of Art and Science.  This project will help many artists and people not in the field of Neural Medicine or Computer Science to understand how a biological brain functions and translates data into a physical decision making process.  This project will create art in its music as well as create a method for visualizing the creative process that even humans go through when they develop music.  This will hopefully help artists appreciate science and technology more, and help scientists to appreciate art and use it as a mode to visualize the difficult to understand scientific topics.  This project was born from a stance of satisfying both the science and art aspects of society and as such has helped it to become a successful project.
-Drew Stanley

Nicolas Nelson Sec 1A, Midterm

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Nicolas Nelson Sec 1A, Midterm
Des|MA 9, Lecture 1, Section A. General education requirement fulfilled, 5.0 credits earned. One more gear in the machine that is our undergraduate program here at UCLA, itself an infinitesimal yet invaluable gadget in the wheels of our lives, which turn, in turn, the hands of time itself (we have debated as to what those hands are made of—an additional dimension, freedom of motion, what?).
http://www.artquotes.net/masters/salvador-dali/the-persistence-of-memory.jpg
In any case, on paper and for some in practice, this course is ideal. “Easy GE,” you might say. But for the aspiring renaissance men and women enrolled, this is a vortex in the space-time of our lifelines. Whether it’s perceived as a massive turning point or a quick blip, I doubt anyone can deny the gravity of what we are exploring. Although I personally may not be able to delve quite so deep or articulate quite so acutely the conceptions we ponder, but I do know that my whole life science (to which I formerly equated technology; I know better now) and art have been integrally conjoined. From the beauty of zero to the robotic age, this course has been surreal to me, not because of the bizarreness of our topics, but the fact that we are finally seeing—hearing—discussing—creating all the things that have been coursing the recesses of my mind from childhood but never found the courage nor the time to slide down out my tongue or crawl through a pen out of my fingers. And here it is, quantized into a physical medium. Although I suppose our thoughts, at an indecipherable level, are chemical and quantized in themselves…
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/vinci/sketch/womb.jpg
I think it’s interesting that our worldviews are formulated through such limited measurements. Certain frequencies of electromagnetic radiation make up the light, and we can decipher it and its amplitude and map the obstacles around us with binocular perspective. Pressure waves stimulate our ears. We can balance via internal fluids, and sense where in space our bodies are oriented. We can detect deep and light pressure, temperature, and irritation. Odors from stimulated air in turn stimulate the taste buds. And that’s it; five sentences wrap up how we take the world in (each susceptible to distortion from things as simple as synesthesia and color blindness, or even illness, drunkenness, and death), yet there’s such a wealth of knowledge, or at least what we accept as truth. “Mortal” is truly a beautiful and enigmatic word.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvwTSEwVBfc
Why is it that mankind has questioned its own mechanism and sought to make its sentience an empirical device? Isn’t appreciating its complexity and transcendence enough? Or is one impossible without the other? I leave question marks because I do not know the answer, though I would tend to lean toward the latter. The “third culture,” whether they believe and set off to find proof or seek proof in order to believe, follows the latter approach, endeavoring though scientific hands and artistic eyes to build up the edifice that is our race. Some build for health, some for beauty, some justice and truth. I suspect many don’t know why they build, as long as they are building “up.” And so the desperate chase for artificial selection ensues.
http://www.myartspace.com/blog/uploaded_images/Chris3-751431.jpg
This pursuit is too slow for humankind biologically, so instead some turn to industrialization, and so ensue robotics, kinetic art, and manufacturing over breeding. Surely the great contributors’ names are heard again and again, as is fitting (so that advancements remain attributed to humans and their sweat, not cold truths born and assembled independently by the cosmos): Tesla, Edison, Westinghouse, etc. Those who cannot produce a reproducible legacy fade faster upon the backdrop canvas of history. In a sense, the movers and shakers are less mortal, and perhaps greatness is their curse; we, the unheard creators, though we may never be what a world in constant spin would denominate as “great,” are unique and mortal indeed. If there were a such thing as a “spirit”—100% human—and it was self-aware, personally I think it would rather inhabit a silent “tortured artist” or “mad scientist” than a great politician, but any mortal would do—one whose death is a snuffing microscopic to the celestial scale, yet each infinitely exceptional.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou3TukauccM
I firmly believe I have learned that it is a beautiful thing to live and therefore die—great bookends to a greater experience. Come, Father Time—take all I have! John Keats can finish for me: “When old age shall this generation waste,/ Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe/ Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say’st,/ “Beauty is truth, truth beauty,” - that is all/ Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know” (“Ode on a Grecian Urn” l. 45-50).

Week 5: Robots Can Produce Art By Gaurav Bansal

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Week one dealt with the separation of society into the two cultures of science and art. Each culture has their own agenda with their own ways of dealing with issues related to their field. The next week covered how mathematics, perspective, time, and space work with the two cultures, mainly the arts. Artists use mathematics frequently in their work, specifically when painting. In order to produce the illusion of depth and perspective in a painting, the line must be drawn in a specific and perfect way; else the piece of art will not make sense to a viewer. The third week explored robotics and how the world we live in today has progress through the industrial age. Robotics is a way that science uses art in their field. One goal of robotics that is apparent in today’s society is to make the robots look as human as possible. In a sense the human body is the epitome of a piece of work because not only was it created; it has the power to create. Also since the human body is so complex, it is an art form alone to be able to replicate the human functions with machines. Lastly, week four covered the human body and medicine. Even though both cultures are very different in a high level sense, they a quite similar when thinking in a much lower level sense. When it comes to the human body, the two cultures are one, we are all human.

The four weeks link together very nicely. The first week shows the two separate groups, art and science, and how they became separated. Then we explore how art uses science in order to progress their field. Similarly the next week shows how science uses art in their field. The last week disregards all the things that make an artist an artist, or a scientist a scientist, and relates them together a low level as possible, humans.

My presentation topic tries to emphasize robotics is a form of art. If art was used in the creation of a robot, does that mean that a robot can produce art? If we take a human as an example, it was created at one point, and now it is the one making art because it is capable of make art. The human body is a very complex piece of art that will take a very long time to replicate, if even possible. However, if we stick to the definition that art is something that is created, and a robot is given the opportunity to create something, be it a performance, then it is performing art.

What some people do not understand is how complicated artificial intelligence programming is, and that is the reason today’s robots act nonhuman like. After a long period of time and development, there will be the technology for robots to have emotions and be adaptable to an environment such that it can produce an “artistic” dance.

Robots and humans are not all that different. Each essentially uses the same brain algorithm of neural nets. This is essentially a giant tree that relates one thing to another. If a robot is programmed with a very complex and complete neural net, it will behave exactly as a human does. The only reason why it is not the case now, is the human neural net is very complicated and with current technology, non replicable.

Extremely Basic Example of a Neural Network

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~nd/surprise_96/journal/vol4/cs11/report.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U5_A4eNzCE

There is not that big a difference between robot technology and humans as some people think, and I believe if both are given an equal and fair opportunity to produce a piece of art, and have it reviewed without bias, both pieces will be considered art.

By Gaurav Bansal

Week 5 midterm post-luis hernandez

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Considering all the topics that have been covered in the class since the beginning of the quarter I have found an interesting relationship in human psychology. Sure, I do understand that art and science are truly inseperable, but why is this so? I have found that it is the varying human psychological characteristics in the ’scientists’ and the ‘artists.’ Most intriguing is the characteristics present in those who are in between- the true ’scientartists,’ if you will. We have discussed the two cultures which was a perfect way of starting off this course. It immediately presented the idea that the two cultures are symbiotic in a way as well as inseparable. Next we discussed mathematics which goes to support the symbiosis of the two cultures. I have found its presence in math and in art. Not only to do with measuring or with counting but in our overall existence. This math also ties into psychology in that numbers have certain effects on psychological processing that generally dictates performance among these ’scientartists.’ This is why it is no surprise that robotics should be brought up in the course seeing as to how intense the progression of artificial intelligence has come. I have come to see robotics as a manifestation of this mathematical impact on psychological processing. Channeling this energy into something that performs like an automaton is a visual representation of science and art participating with each other. In another sense, this can also be seen as a representation of human corruption in that these humans now have the ability to create something that can destroy. Medicine, which was also discussed, also parallels this human corruption. So much innovation has been seen yet at the same time, everything has the capability of being turned upside down. When this happens, I feel like no one can make any sense of anything-’scientartists’ or not.

My project proposes to disect the psychology a little bit by delving into perception. I’ve decided to make it less broad by tackling sensory perception and the influence language/ phonetics has on perception. What I wish to prove is that biological perception is instinctual and mutaul among all human creatures and that societal perception is what creates divides. In order to do this I linked societal perception with gibberish flash cards (phonetics) and biological perception with texture boxes (sensory) which are a sort of mystery since the contents are unable to be seen. Thus, you are left with one sense- sense of touch. Once all the individuals participating in my experiment see how similar they all reacted they will realize that biologically speaking they share the same perception. Now, when they match up flashcards with gibberish words, they’ll see how their society has shaped their perception judging from how they interpret the word on the flashcard and assign it to a box. The design, contents, and arrangement of the experiment is scientific and artisitic as well as the ideas, motivation and execution of this experiment. Everything was strategically placed and thought out, yet there was definitely room for some spontaneous activity which resulted in advancement- in the same way a scientist/artist might carry on.

-luis a. hernandez

W5: Midterm/Review by Stephanie Mercier

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

Wow. It’s been five weeks already. So far we’ve learned about the two cultures, mathematics, perspective, time and space, the industrial age, kinetic art, robotics, the human body, and medicine. That’s a lot of stuff. We’ve also watched Bladerunner and on my own I watched Children of Men – a clip was shown in the fourth (?) week – and many youtube videos.

Before this class I never really thought much about the topics we’re currently going over. I knew there was a rift between the scientific and artistic communities, but I didn’t really think about it. It’s everywhere though, especially on this campus. All the BS majors stay on the southern part of campus and all the BA majors stay on the northern part – psychology majors like me are squished in the middle. We talked a lot about his rift and many examples were given. There was talk about why his rift is bad, but it wasn’t until later weeks where we were finally given examples of art and science together. In the second week, we explored the idea of perspective. This was a great example of how mathematics and art influence each other. In order to show reality and depth in art, proper linear perspective was usually needed. During the second week we also talked a lot about the fourth dimension – most of my second blog was about the fourth dimension because I had no idea what it was before this class. But after some lengthy research I was able to visualize the fourth dimension. The youtube video that was shown in class that described the many different dimensions helped a lot too. I remember reading a math book about string theory and the 11th dimension or some large number of dimensions. After reading that book, I thought mostly of dimensions as a component of math and science. I didn’t understand how anything higher than the third dimension could be represented in art until after week two. My favorite example is Duchamp’s Nude Descending a Staircase. In this photo the fourth dimension is represented by the image of a nude on a stairs at different moments. This is just another example of how art and science are related.

In the third and fourth week, we learned about robotics and the human body: two topics which are very different. It was very surprising to see how much robotics has progressed. I had no idea that there were robots that were capable of “dancing” among other things. The fourth week was a bit of a shock also, especially the video of Orlan and the numerous advances in genetic engineering. I really had no idea that our technology had become so advanced in both robotics and medicine. I liked how the medicine and the human body came after robotics. The topics are so different and contrasted well with each other.

For my midterm I wanted to draw attention to this juxtaposition but had no idea of how to do it. The hardest part of that midterm was actually coming up with an idea. I thought I would show the contrast by mapping the 3D transformation on a computer from one person’s face to their ideal face. Like if you could map Orlan’s original face in 3D and her new face and then show the transformation of that in 3D - similar to when you see someone age in a movie really quickly. This would have incorporated the topics of the fourth dimension, digital imaging, the human body and medicine. Eventually I decided that it would be much cooler if you could model transformation of human faces in three dimensional terms – not just three dimensions on a two-dimensional screen. Anyway, long story short, after a lot of thinking and research I found that if you combined the technologies of digital imaging, tactile graphic display, and pin art (those square things with hundreds of pins you played with as a kid), you could model the faces in the third dimension and could eventually animate this to incorporate the fourth dimension. The combination of the project two main themes: the human body and robots echoes the juxtaposition which discussing the human body the week after robotics creates. But it is also yet another example of how science and art are coming together.

-Stephanie Mercier

Week 5 Midterm Blog by Natalie Ridling

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

So far in this class we have studied many different topics all related to both science and art.  Though the connecting line may be a bit more gray and fuzzy than just a straight black one, there is still very much a connection.  In the first week of the class, we focused on drawing that first connection between the two campuses at UCLA, the North and the South.  That connection was much stronger than I thought it was.  I am still concerned that people think that the two campuses are very separate, because in my personal experience with the research and education here, the two definitely do overlap and collaborate.  There is a divide, but I do not think that it is by any means too great or wrong.  The reason that we have different majors is so that we can specialize, and then use each other’s expertise.  The next week had a focus on math and perspective.  This was interesting to see just how much overlap there is between the two disciplines.  We watched videos demonstrating the art of fractals and such.  The third week of the quarter focused on robotics and artificial intelligence.  A great deal of what we talked about is how much is art, such as if it should be considered artistic expression if robots dance.  Fourth week was all about medicine and the advances we have made in that field.  This past week we have reviewed all the material and tried to draw that line through all the four weeks.  In the first week there was a quote about the similarities between art and science as each one becomes more advanced, and I think that in itself is the connecting line.  Each week we have focused on an advanced aspect of science, and I feel as though we have searched for the art in that aspect of technology.  We have not really looked at art and searched for the science nearly as much, if at all.  I think another part of the line is to encourage us to look all around us for these connections, and they are most definitely there, even when we don’t expect to find them.  I think it is an art to be able to perform certain medical procedures, and there is in fact some art in robots dancing (even if the credits belong to the choreographer).  I think that I am very much understanding the point of this class, I notice art in things around me so much now than I ever did before, and I think that is really important, and I have even landed myself in a few conversations with others about where they see art in the world.  So, the other part of the fuzzy gray line connecting everything, besides being so advanced it is like art, is that it is supposed to point out all the different aspects of our lives that include art. 

Briefly, my project for the midterm is about wind fields.  Wind energy has the potential to solve many of out country’s problems with energy, but there are many aspects of it that need to be worked on before it will be commonly accepted and completely okay, at least with more people.  Right now, one of the main complaints with the technology is that it is very noisy and when the fields are installed away from humanity, it often destroys the wildlife.  My solution is to put music boxes in the wind turbines to create more soothing sounds, such as waves crashing or birds chirping.  I will also paint the blades on the turbines to reflect the mood of the noise and set the stage for the overall experience.  This is something that can cause people to have a greater appreciation for the function of the turbines and the beauty of an outside exhibit. 

e112_wind_turbine

Natalie Ridling

Week_5_Midterm_Blog_Travis_Johnson

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

This class can be summed up by its title: Art, Science, and Technology. We have explored various ways in which art, science, and technology have been used together to create some of the most spectacular pieces of work ever made. Throughout the weeks, the main theme of the class has remained the notion of art working with science, science working with art, technology be utilized by both, etc. It has not so much been about emphasizing that art and science can be used synonymously but instead how they are a package deal; where there is science, there is art, and vice-versa. Through readings and lectures, we have seen how art and science have both made use of innovative technology, including many movie clips from numerous science-fiction films. Each week’s respective topics have all been related to those of past and subsequent weeks, connecting to one another through this primary theme.

From the beginning of the course, the structure of this class has mirrored that of a funnel. We began in Week One discussing the two cultures that seem to have emerged around the world, especially here at UCLA, of art and science. The emphasis has been, however, that we cannot force them apart and must prevent a mass separation from happening. The following weeks dealt very much with narrowing the scope from “art over here and science over there” and showing how they are very much related and interconnected. Week Two was attributed to providing examples of art’s progression over time and how mathematics have contributed to the develop of perspective and dimensions in art. We really began to see, for the first time, the beginnings of art and science working together to improve upon previous work, showing how the two cultures discussed in Week One really cannot separate science and art. Week Three entered into the world of robotics, kinetics, and digital reproduction. This was the first time in which we could fully see technology’s role in the art-science culture. We saw that science can develop technology, which can then be used to create art. Heading into Week Four, we really had a sense of how the two cultures cannot at all be separated but instead must very much interact. Plastic surgery was the main topic of Week Four, which is nearing the climax of the fusion between art, science, and technology: enhancing the human body using art, science, and technology. The first four weeks have demonstrated the many aspects of life depend on art, science, and technology, as does the basis of my midterm.

My midterm topic builds on the ideas of Weeks Three and Four, but because all four weeks are interconnected with one another, my midterm deals with all four weeks. The point of my midterm is to fuse art, science, and technology (wipe away the two cultures) and build upon the human body. In my midterm, I suggest the idea of taking the scientific and technological advances of prosthetics and combine them with the artistic developments of artificial limbs to create robotic limbs that are more efficient than human limbs. We discussed in Week Four Section how robots, even those who are programmed to dance, are still far from being human, the main reason stemming from the lack of emotions, thoughts, and feelings in robots that humans possess. In my proposal, I would take the mechanical superiority of robots and mix it with the human mind to create a human robot. We have seen many movie clips in class that have dealt with humans capable of more than normal human functions, such as the Replicants seen in Blade Runner. Many of these clips seem to be unrealistic and outside the realm of possibility, but I believe that if art, science, and technology work together, we may one day see human robots roaming the earth. In conclusion, DESMA 9 has explored the idea of art, science, and technology not living in separate cultures but instead creating one society in which they each depend on and build upon one another. In order for my midterm proposal to work, this is a necessity. This class has proven that art, science, and technology have always been interconnected and interdependent and will continue to be so for the many years to come.

- Travis Johnson

Week 5 – Midterm blog by Michelle Wong

Sunday, February 8th, 2009

The four topics that were covered in the first half of the quarter were two cultures, mathematics, kinetic art/robotics, and medicine. These four topics are interrelated because it is impossible to separate science and art. First of all, in the two cultures – art and science, both scientists and artists share the same goal and rely on one another to achieve their goal. They both strive for perfection regardless of where they started. Science needs art to translate complex wordings and data into visuals that the general public can accept. Mathematics is perhaps not defined regarding which culture it belongs to. In art, mathematics is used as the perspective concept, geometric shapes, proportions, and display. In science, mathematics is used for accuracy, repetition, and as a way to explain their findings in actual proofs. Kinetic art and robotics falls back onto mathematics and art. Mathematics and science is needed to construct the robot and to control the robot as a set of inputs and outputs values. Although there were debates whether work created by robots qualify as art, I believe it is art. I think the robot and the work that the robot created as a whole is a piece of art created by the robot’s creator, it is just another way of displaying art. Medicine – my favorite topic yet. To me, medicine is an integration of all of the above topics. Robotics has yet to become a dominating subject in the field of medicine because of its stability and accuracy – something that doctors are trying to achieve. Medicine itself is an art because the scientists are playing “God” in which they are trying to create and correct everything – perfection in human nature. I have found all of the topics we have covered to be very interesting. If I didn’t take this class I wouldn’t have taken the time to draw out its similarities. The number of similarities they have among them are so tightly integrated that it is not possible to draw a distinct line and separate them by topics. Just like in math, each topic builds upon another.

My project ties in with the medicine, technology and art topics of this first half of the quarter. During the lectures we discussed how scientists have advance with the treatments of cancer by using technology; I feel that there should also be developments to assist us with everyday inevitable problems – acne. What I came up with is not something that will catch the attention of the majority of the public, but nevertheless it will be important to those with problematic skin. I came up with a device that will clear our skin pores by “sucking” out the sebum and the bacteria that is causing acne. So how does this tie with the artistic aspect of this course? Same idea with plastic surgery – I learned that people use plastic surgery to perfect themselves. Doctors and artists are the same in which they both strive for perfection. Acne may be a small problem compared to cancer, but it is still an obstacle to beauty.

By: Michelle Wong